This refreshingly delicious zucchini cacao smoothie is so good you won’t even taste the extra serving of zucchini in it!
Yes, there’s zucchini in this smoothie. And, no, it’s not disgusting. In fact, you won’t even taste it! It’s that delicious. And it’s a great way to load your smoothies with extra veggies. Win win, right? I’ve been making this recipe for a couple years now and it always tastes amazing! As the weather starts to get warmer here in Seattle, I find myself craving smoothies in the morning and/or late afternoons. If you love chocolate, you’re going to absolutely love this creation! And depending on how much liquid you decide to add, you can adjust the thickness. I love topping my smoothies with a little frozen fruit in addition to some of the ingredients. It just makes it a little fancier and tastier!
Why Add Zucchini?
So why add zucchini to your smoothies? For starters, it’s a great way to add an extra serving of veggies into your daily protein and boost your fiber intake. They don’t add any taste so it’s a perfect neutral addition to your smoothie. They’re also rich in nutritional value and rich in vitamin C, folate and beta carotene. If you’re ready to try zucchini in your smoothies, here are a few tips: just wash, slice, stick them in a container and freeze for quick and easy access. You can either eat them raw or steam them for 5 minutes before storing them in a container (just make sure they cool down first!) so it’s a little easier on your digestive system.
- Wash, slice, stick them in a container and freeze for quick and easy access.
- You can either eat them raw or steam them for 5 minutes before storing them in a container (just make sure they cool down first!) so it’s a little easier on your digestive system.
- Leave on the peel on if it’s organic, otherwise be sure to peel the zucchini before adding it to your smoothie.
As always, if you try this recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Just tag your photos to #realandvibrant on Instagram. There’s truly nothing that inspires me more than seeing you guys trying out the recipes I post!
Zucchini Cacao Smoothie
A sweet and refreshing smoothie, packed with zucchini you won’t even taste!
For the Smoothie
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1 cup almond milk (adjust thickness by adding more or less)
- 2 tbsp organic hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp organic hemp seeds
Combine the banana, zucchini, cacao powder, almond milk, hemp seeds, and nut butter in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Pour into two glasses and top with blueberries, cacao nibs, hemp seeds and coconut.