Made with garlic, onion, carrots, cashews, homemade broth, and local fingerling potatoes, this carrot potato soup hits the spot.
It’s starting to get so chilly in Seattle that by dinnertime, all I want is warm comfort food…or soup. Made with garlic, onion, carrots, cashews, homemade broth, and local fingerling potatoes I picked up at the farmers market. You guys, this soup hits the spot.
And Those Multi-Colored Carrots..
I combined the potatoes with these beautiful multi-colored carrots I picked up at Trader Joe’s. It’s these carrots that gave this soup a beautiful Fall orange hue. Carrots are one of my favorite staples to a healthy lifestyle. Carrots are known for their beta-carotene and fiber content. They are a good source of antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, iron, potassium, copper, and manganese. And because carrots are naturally sweet, they add a delicious subtle flavor of sweetness to everything they mingle with. In this case, the sweetness from the carrots combined with the comfort of the potatoes makes this soup a winner.
So go ahead, try out this recipe and let me know what you think. I love seeing your photos tagged #realandvibrant on InstagramPrint
Made with garlic, onion, carrots, cashews, homemade broth, and potatoes, this soup hits the spot.
- 1 pound potatoes (cubed)
- 5 carrots (roughly sliced into 1” pieces.)
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked for 1–2 hours)
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 4 cups veggie broth (or water)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a medium soup pot, add potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic. Fill the pot with 4 cups of veggie broth (or water). Make sure the veggies are completely submerged in water (if not, add some more liquid). Turn on heat to medium high.
- Bring pot of veggies to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Let the vegetables cook for 30-35 minutes until they are fully cooked. You can easily test this by sticking a knife through the potatoes.
- Once the veggies are cooked, turn off heat and transfer the ingredients to a blender.
- Add the cashews. Blend until smooth and creamy. Depending on your blender, you may need to do this in two batches.
- Transfer the creamy broth back into the soup pot. Turn on the heat to medium low to let it cook for 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. I usually add a teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Enjoy!
Keywords: carrot potato soup, carrot soup, potato soup, carrot and potato soup, soup, healthy soup,
This post was originally published: Oct 27, 2016. It was updated on September 27, 2017.