This chickpea curry bowl makes for a simple weeknight dinner. Packed with
This bowl gives me all the good feels, mostly because it reminds me of my mom’s wonderful cooking. I grew up eating home cooked Indian food every. single. day. I was also that weird kid in school who would bring interesting lunches packed in brown paper bags to school (and back then, Indian food was unheard of in the Midwest). While everyone else would opt for cafeteria food, I’d pull out my homemade kitchari (yellow and green food didn’t exactly attract the best kind of attention back then).
One of my favorite dishes that my mom makes is chickpea curry (also known as chole in Hindi). It’s usually paired with fluffy deep-fried white flour bread, called batura. It’s so delicious, but not something I eat every day. But the chickpea curry, I could eat this a few times a week. And now I cook my chickpeas in my Instant Pot so no canned food required. So I combined one of my favorite childhood Indian curries with … a bowl! And wow, talk about making mom proud.
For More Power Bowl Recipes, Check Out:
- Vegan Power Bowl with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Gut Healthy Power Bowl
- Roasted Sweet Potato Kale Bowl
- Roasted Vegetable Buddha Bowl
- Cauliflower Potato Buddha Bowl
- Asian Inspired Buddha Bowl
- Crispy Sweet Potato Black Bean Bowl
As always, if you try this recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Just tag your photos to #realandvibrant on Instagram. There’s truly nothing that inspires me more than seeing you guys trying out the recipes I post!Print
This chickpea curry nourish bowl makes for a simple weeknight dinner. Packed with flavorful Indian chickpea curry and fresh vegetables, this bowl can be easily customized based on whatever you have in your fridge.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 white onion (chopped)
- 1 can of organic chickpeas (rinsed well)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp organic turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Himalayan pink salt (or sea salt, to taste)
Spicy Cashew Sauce
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 avocado, cut into halves
- 1 cup carrots, ribboned or julienned
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, deseeded and sliced (optional)
- Prepare the chickpea curry. In a large pot over low heat, melt the oil. Once the oil melts, add the garlic and white onion.Stir occasionally until the onions start to get soft and translucent. Add chickpeas, paprika, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, and sea salt. Add 1/2 cup of water. Stir until the chickpea is well coated. Increase the heat to medium and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare the cashew dressing. In a blender, add cashews, 1/4 cup water, lime juice, paprika, and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Assemble the bowls. Divide the arugula among the bowl. Top each with chickpea curry, red cabbage, avocado, carrot ribbons, cucumber slices, and jalapeno slices. Drizzle with spicy cashew sauce. Enjoy!
Keywords: chickpea curry nourish bowl