A simple recipe for easy homemade cranberry sauce. Made with fresh cranberries, maple syrup, and orange juice, this is a must-have for your next holiday meal.
- 1 (12 oz) package fresh cranberries, about 3 cups, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Juice of 1 orange (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 stick cinnamon or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Combine cranberries, water, maple syrup, orange juice, orange zest, cinnamon, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes, until the cranberries start to pop and get soft, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature.
The sauce will thicken as it cools down.
While some cranberry sauce recipes use just water and skip the orange juice, I recommend using both. The juice adds flavor and helps cut down the bitterness from the cranberries.
Keywords: homemade cranberry sauce