This easy vegan mashed sweet potatoes recipe is one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes! Made with only a few ingredients, it’s cooked on the stovetop and ready in 30 minutes.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1–2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Raw pecans, roughly chopped
- Cook the Potatoes: In a large pot, pour enough water to cover an inch of the base. Insert steamer basket and place the chunks of potatoes on top. Cover the lid and steam on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Mash the Potatoes: In a medium-sized bowl, add the steamed sweet potatoes. Mash the mixture until the desired texture is achieved.
- Add Remaining Ingredients: Add almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix until well combined. Adjust seasoning and sweetness, if needed. Serve and top with pecans, if using.
I mash mine with a potato masher, however, if you don’t have one, a fork works well. If you prefer a smoother texture, use a hand mixer, stand mixer, or a food processor.
Keywords: vegan mashed sweet potatoes