A delicious and simple 5-ingredient sweet and tangy morning green smoothie that can easily be customized. Made with fresh spinach, tangy lime, and sweet banana, this smoothie is perfect for busy mornings or as an afternoon snack. Either way, this smoothie won't disappoint.
Editor's note: This recipe was originally published on February 18, 2016. Since then, it’s been freshened up with new pictures, commentary, and made even more delicious.
This is a classic green smoothie with enough sweetness but a little tanginess from the lime. It's a great way to start the day. The chia seeds add a little boost of protein and fiber.
And it's pretty easy to customize. Don't care for bananas? Use another fruit. Don't care for fruit? Use cauliflower or zucchini instead! Experiment (and keep experimenting) with various options until you have a few of your favorites on hand.
Here are a few more reasons to enjoy a green smoothie:
- Great way to add more servings of greens into your day.
- Quick and easy to make.
- Easy to prep and store for the week.
- They taste delicious.
- They can be extremely filling.
- You'll never get bored as long as you keep experimenting with different ingredients.
How to make the perfect morning green smoothie
You'll need the following ingredients to get started:
- Banana, sliced
- Almond milk
- Lime, juiced
- Chia seeds
- Medjool dates
Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.
Top tips and variations
- Blend the greens first: If you don't have a high-speed blender, blend the greens and liquids first. This will lead to a smoothy, velvety smoothie after you add the remaining ingredients.
- Freeze bananas: Bananas had natural sweetness and fiber to smoothies. I prefer to slice them up and freeze them in advance. That way they are cold and I don't have to worry about slicing them up in the morning.
- Soak dates: If you're going to use dates, soak them beforehand, for about 30 minutes. You don't need to do this, just helps them blender smoother, and this step isn't needed at all if you have a high-speed blender.
More green smoothie recipes
Other smoothie recipes
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup water
- ¼ lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 Medjool dates, optional, for added sweetness
- Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.