This soup is so hearty and delicious, made with sweet potato, kale, tomato, and onions. It’s simple and comes together in less than 30 minutes. Enjoy this soup on its own or as a delicious side to a nourishing salad.
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2.5 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Warm the oil on medium-low heat in a medium pot. Add onion and garlic.
- Saute until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, tomatoes, water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cumin. Increase the heat to medium and stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Immediately lower the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes. Make sure the sweet potato is cooked through and turn off the heat.
- Remove the bay leaf and gently fold in the kale into the soup. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve immediately or store for later in a glass airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: sweet potato and kale soup