These delicious vegan collard greens are simple enough for a weeknight meal but have enough flavor to serve to guests or as a Thanksgiving side dish. Quick and easy to make, they come together in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 1 large bunch of collard greens
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the collard greens by removing thick central ribs, stacking up the leaves, and slicing into thin strips.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onions become translucent and fragrant, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and increase heat to medium. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped collard greens, salt, pepper, paprika, vinegar, and stir until the greens are coated with the mixture. Reduce the heat to low, and cook until the greens are wilted and dark green, about 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a few tablespoons of water, if needed, throughout the cooking process (*see note).
- Turn off heat and serve.
*If the collard greens start to stick to the pan, you can ‘deglaze’ the pan with a bit of water (I recommend 1 tablespoon of water at a time, as needed) to prevent sticking.
Keywords: vegan collard greens