The best vegan sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving! It has just the right amount of sweetness, an irresistible flavor, and a crisp cinnamon pecan streusel topping. This sweet and savory side dish tastes like dessert. Everyone will want the recipe!
For the Casserole:
- 2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 4 large sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
For the Topping:
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oated
- 1/4 cup brown suger
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cook the Sweet Potatoes: In a large pot, pour enough water to cover an inch of the base. Insert steamer basket and place the chunks of potatoes on top. Cover the pot and cook on medium-high heat until potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease the baking dish and set aside.
- Prepare the Filling: In a medium-sized bowl, add the steamed sweet potatoes and mash using a hand mixer, food processor, or potato masher. Add almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix until well combined. Adjust seasoning and sweetness, if needed. Pour mixture into a greased baking dish and spread into an even layer. Set aside.
- Prepare the Topping: In another medium-sized bowl, combine the chopped pecans, rolled oats, almond flour, brown sugar, coconut oil, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well. Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over the sweet potato mixture in baking dish.
- Bake the Casserole: Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, until heated through and the topping is a golden brown.
Keywords: vegan sweet potato casserole