This creamy lemon tahini dressing is the perfect everyday plant-based dressing, delicious on salads, bowls, falafels, roasted vegetables, and so much more. It's made with a handful of ingredients, including tahini, fresh lemon juice, water, garlic, and seasoning!
What is tahini?
Tahini is a paste made from toasted ground hulled sesame. It's commonly used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking as well as parts of North Africa.
Tahini is basically sesame seed butter. High-quality tahini is made from a single ingredient: toasted sesame seeds.
The first time I ever encountered tahini was years ago at a Middle Eastern restaurant. I stopped in to pick up a sandwich and the only vegetarian option available was a falafel wrap, which I had never had before. It was love at first bite. I couldn't get enough of the creamy delicious sauce and immediately wanted to know what it was. It was tahini.
How to make lemon tahini dressing
All you need is a bowl, a whisk, and your measuring cups and spoons! You'll need the following simple ingredients:
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A clove of garlic, finely minced
- Sea salt + pepper
- Maple syrup (if you'd like to add a little sweetness)
Making the tahini is really quick and easy.
- In a small bowl, add the tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup (if you're using), and salt and pepper.
- Whisk until it starts to become thick and creamy.
- Now add the water. You can either add it slowly if you like it thicker and for with the amount I mention in the recipe. At first, you may think "this doesn't look like dressing" but as
you continueto whisk, the dressing will become smooth and creamy - trust me!
And that's it. Either use the tahini dressing immediately or store it in a sealed glass jar in the fridge. It will stay fresh for
So now that you've made it, what should you use this delicious lemon tahini dressing for? Here are some of my favorite ways to use this simple dressing:
- Drizzle on salads or your next Buddha bowl
- Spread it on toast
- Dip raw veggies in it
- Add it to your smoothies
- Drizzle on falafels
- Use it to make hummus!
- Drizzle on roasted veggies, like this garlic roasted cauliflower!
- Add it to your homemade desserts -- hello, tahini brownies!
More easy dressing recipes
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup water
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, optional
- Combine tahini, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl.
- Whisk for about 30 seconds until it becomes thick and creamy.
- Add the water and whisk again until it's smooth and creamy - about a minute.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Enjoy immediately or store in a glass jar.