Satisfy your craving for a cozy, warm soup with this thick and creamy cauliflower soup. It comes together in 45 minutes and is loaded with veggies. This delicious soup is a perfect addition to any meal, or can be enjoyed alone, and made ahead of time!
If you love creamy soups but trying to skip the cream, you’re going to love this vegan cauliflower soup recipe. Here are just a few reasons:
- Simple ingredients. This simple cauliflower soup only calls for a few, whole ingredients.
- Loaded with veggies. Even if you’re not a big fan of cauliflower, you’ll be amazed by the delicious flavor created by blending it with garlic, onions, and other ingredients. All of the ingredients work together to make one creamy and delicious comforting soup.
- Creamy without the cream. This soup calls for cashews as a delicious dairy-free alternative. If for any reason you prefer not to use cashews, you can skip them altogether.
- Freezer-friendly recipe. It’s easy to prepare in advance and store in the freezer for when you’re ready to enjoy it.
The added nutrition and fiber make it the perfect addition to your meal or delicious enough to enjoy alone as a light meal.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make this soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Oil: I use avocado oil
- Yellow onion: peeled and diced
- Garlic: minced or smashed. Alternatively, you can also use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Cauliflower: trimmed and cut into florets
- Vegetable broth: while this soup calls for vegetable broth as the main liquid ingredient to simmer the vegetables in, you can also use water if you don’t have any broth on-hand.
- Unsweetened almond milk: or any other unsweetened milk, such as cashew milk, oat milk, or hemp milk.
- Raw cashews: rinsed and drained
- Sea salt and black pepper: to taste
How to Make Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Cauliflower soup is so easy to make! Prepare the ingredients, saute, simmer, and blend.
1. Sautee Garlic and Onion: start by warming up oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes until the onions are fragrant and start to appear translucent.
2. Add Remaining Ingredients: Add cauliflower florets, cashews, vegetable broth, milk, and salt.
3. Simmer: Cover and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 25-30 minutes.
4. Blend: Turn off the heat. Carefully transfer the cooked ingredients into a blender and puree until it’s smooth. Transfer back into the pot. Alternatively, use an immersion blender.
5. Adjust Seasoning: Adjust seasoning, if needed. While it’s now ready to serve, I like to warm it up a bit since the process of blending can cool down the soup.
Storage & Reheating
Store: Store in an airtight container for 3 days in the fridge.
Reheat: When ready to enjoy, warm in a saucepan over medium heat.
Freeze: store in the freezer for up to 3 months. I recommend dividing the soup into serving sizes so you can easily reheat it. Thaw before reheating.
Suggestions & Variations
Roast the Cauliflower: for a deeper flavor, roast the cauliflower before making the soup. While it will take a little longer to roast the cauliflower, making the actual soup will be quicker!
Add Herbs: for added flavor, try adding herbs like parsley, cilantro, chives, thyme, or rosemary.
Soak the Cashews Beforehand in clean, filtered water for about 30 minutes. Rinse well and drain before using them in the recipe, especially if you’ll be blending the soup in a standard blender.
Add Spices: while I find that only salt and pepper are needed for this soup, you may add spices to boost the flavor. I recommend paprika, cayenne pepper, or even hot sauce.
Use Vegetable Broth instead of Water: for added flavor, use vegetable broth or stock.
Make it Cheesy: for a cheesy flavor, add 1/4-1/2 cup of shredded cheese cheddar, parmesan, mozzarella, provolone, or gruyere. Note: the soup will no longer be vegan.
More Easy Soup Recipes
Creamy Cauliflower Soup (Vegan)Print Pin Rate
- 1 tablespoons oil, I use avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large head of cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs, such as thyme, cilantro, parsley, chives
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower florets, cashews, vegetable broth, milk, and salt.
- Cover and simmer until the cauliflower florets are tender, about 25-30 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Carefully transfer the cooked ingredients into a blender and puree until it’s smooth and creamy. Transfer soup back into the pot. Alternatively, use an immersion blender to process until smooth and creamy.
- Adjust seasoning, if needed. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish, and serve.
This recipe was originally published on October 23, 2016. Since then, it’s been freshened up with new pictures, commentary, and made even more delicious!