This creamy vegan sweet potato soup is filling and packed with Fall vegetables. It will make you want to get all cozied up in your pajamas. It’s that good.
I made this delicious vegan sweet potato soup a month ago and posted it on my Instagram feed. It’s been so cloudy and rainy in Seattle (what’s new, right?) but this is the kind of weather that makes me crave warm food all day every day. In my books, this usually translates to a lot of soups because they are so quick and easy. I’m so excited to finally share it on my blog. This soup is filling and packed with Fall vegetables. It will make you want to get all cozied up in your pajamas. It’s that good.
Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are packed with fiber, almost twice as much fiber as other types of potatoes. Why is this important? The high fiber gives them this “slow burning” characteristic, which means their caloric energy is used slower and more efficiently than a low-fiber carb.
They’re also heart healthy, containing large amounts of Vitamin B6 and potassium. And if you enjoy them on a regular basis, you know how filling they can be. They are also rich in an antioxidant called beta-carotene, giving your body all the Vitamin A it needs on a daily basis. Sweet potatoes are also rich in Vitamin C and E, both are nutrients that contribute to a glowing complexion and healthy hair.
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
While I love to enjoy sweet potatoes in a variety of ways (i.e. sweet potato fries, baked sweet potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, etc), enjoying them in my soup is one of my favorite. I love making big batches of this soup and then freezing the leftovers. Sometimes I enjoy this soup on its own (because it’s that filling), while other times I enjoy it as a side to a big salad. Either way, it never disappoints. The sweet flavors naturally found in sweet potatoes mixed with the savory flavors added to the soup makes this one heck of a treat!
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think. I love seeing your photos tagged #realandvibrant on Instagram!
Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked for at least 1 hour
- 1 white onion cubed
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 cups veggie broth or water
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional
- Add oil to a pot once it's heated.
- Add garlic (make sure the heat is super low so you don't burn the garlic).
- Once the garlic is soft, add the onions and let them sweat until they're a little transparent.
- Add the sweet potatoes and increase the heat to medium.
- Add the cumin, paprika, cinnamon, black pepper, sea salt. Adjust any flavors.
- After a few minutes, add the broth or water -- just enough to cover the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked through, add the cashews.
- Transfer to your blender. Be super careful not to burn yourself. I usually just transfer all of the veggies first and then pour is the liquids. You may need to do two batches, depending on your blender.
- Blend until soft and creamy.
- Transfer back to pot. Taste and add maple syrup if needed (all depends on how sweet you like your soup). Adjust salt if needed. Enjoy!