This sweet potato and kale soup is packed with vegetables, including sweet potato, kale, fresh tomatoes, and onions. It's easy to make and comes together in a quick 30 minutes. Enjoy this soup on its own or as a delicious side to a nourishing salad.
Editor's note: This recipe was originally published on January 28, 2019. Since then, it’s been freshened up with new pictures, commentary, and made even more delicious!
This is literally one of my favorite soup recipes. The best part: it's so easy to make, cheap, packed with flavor, and comforting. Perfect for Fall, Winter, or early Spring, you'll love this soup. Serve with toasted No Knead Bread for the perfect comfort meal.
Made with a few ingredients, this soup comes together in less than 30 minutes for a savory meal or side dish.
Ingredients you'll need
What I love most about this recipe is how few ingredients you really need:
- Sweet potatoes: Peel them and dice them up into ½ inch pieces. You can also do 1-inch pieces but I personally just enjoy the smaller pieces more.
- Fresh tomatoes: The tomatoes add so much flavor to any dish. It's one of my favorite ingredients to add to non-creamy soups as it gives the soup clover and flavor.
- Onion: I've made this soup with both white and red onion and both taste great. You can't go wrong with either. Just make sure you cook them long enough before adding the other ingredients.
- Kale: If you're looking for an easy way to get some greens in, this soup is a great candidate. Once the soup is done, just had a few
handfulof chopped up kale. It boosts the nutrients, adds texture, and is so delicious.
- Garlic: I love adding a clove or two of minced garlic in most of my dishes. Not only does this add so much flavor, but also make your kitchen smell amazing,
- Seasoning: you just need sea salt, black pepper, a bay leaf, and ground cumin for this soup - that's it.
How to make sweet potato and kale soup
Once you prep all of your ingredients, you can whip this soup up on your stovetop in less than 30 minutes. I love using my Staub Cast-Iron Dutch Oven to make this soup. Soup doesn't get easier than that.
1. Saute garlic and onion: Warm the oil on medium-low heat in a medium pot. Add onion and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
2. Add remaining ingredients: Add sweet potato, tomatoes, water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cumin. Increase the heat to medium and stir well. Bring to a gentle boil. Immediately lower the heat to medium-low.
3. Simmer: Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes. Make sure the sweet potatoes are cooked through and turn off the heat.
4. Add kale: Remove the bay leaf and gently fold in the kale into the soup. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve or store for later.
Pro tip: If you do know in advance that you won't be enjoying it for another day or two, hold off on adding the kale until you're ready to enjoy it. At that time, just fold it in when you reheat the soup.
Storage and reheating
- Fridge: Store in a glass airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: Warm the soup in a small saucepan on medium-low heat.
- With a heaping salad: A simple green salad is so delicious with this soup. It's a delicious way to pack in the vegetables, especially if you have been running low in that department.
- Serve with warm bread: As with any soup, you can never go wrong with bread.
- On its own: I frequently make this as a light lunch. While it makes 4 servings, double it up to make a nourishing meal.
More tasty soup recipes
Other sweet potato recipes
- 1 tablespoon oil, I use avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chopped kale
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Warm the oil on medium-low heat in a medium pot. Add onion and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, tomatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cumin. Increase the heat to medium and stir well. Bring to a boil. Immediately lower the heat to medium-low for a simmer.
- Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove the bay leaf and gently fold in the kale into the soup. Add lemon juice and adjust seasoning, if needed. Serve or store for later.