This shaved Brussels sprouts salad has a sweet and savory crunch to it. It’s made with shaved Brussels sprouts, crispy apples, dried cranberries, walnuts, and tossed in a delicious vinaigrette. Enjoy it as a side or on its own!
A few years ago, I became a fan of Brussels sprouts after disliking them for a majority of my life. And I think there are many out there like myself. What I realized was that it wasn’t that I disliked Brussels sprouts, it’s just I didn’t like how they were cooked, at least the ones I had tried up until this point.
Fast forward a few years later, this shaved Brussels sprouts salad is one of my favorite ways to enjoy the leafy vegetable (along with these spicy Brussels Sprouts)! And while I love to roast Brussels sprouts, sometimes I’m just not in the mood to preheat my oven and wait.
This salad requires no oven and is so quick and easy to make (especially if you have a food processor). It’s packed with flavor from real, fresh ingredients tossed in a light and delicious dressing.
Why Brussels Sprouts?
So why even bother with brussels sprouts? Brussels sprouts are a great source of fiber, loaded with over 20 essential vitamins and minerals, may have cholesterol-lowering abilities, and may offer cancer-preventative components. They are crunchy when enjoyed raw and personally remind me of cabbage!
This shaved Brussels sprouts salad doesn’t require any cooking. You may wonder if it’s safe to enjoy Brussels sprouts raw. Yep, it is! When eating any produce raw, I try to stick to organic and wash it thoroughly before preparing.
This salad is very simple and quick to pull together. It’s perfect for this time of the year as all of the ingredients used are seasonal and fresh.
How to Make the Best Brussels Sprouts Salad
Here are some tips on how to make sure your salad turns out amazing!
- Be sure to use crispy apples. The crunch from the Brussels sprouts combined with a crispy apple
givethis salad its fresh flavor and crunchy texture. I personally love to use Fuji, Pink Lady, or Honeycrisp apples.
- Save time by using a food processor to thinly slice each Brussels sprouts. It will literally take you a couple minute to do this (plus any clean-up time) compared to slicing each Brussels sprout individually. I’ve done it both ways and definitely prefer the food processor.
- You can also use a mandoline to slice the Brussels sprouts, but I do not recommend this method as you can easily hurt yourself since Brussels sprouts are pretty small
- Prep this advance by slicing your Brussels sprouts a day or two in advance. Store them in the refrigerator in an airtight glass container or silicone bag and you’re set!
As always, if you try this recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Just tag your photos to #realandvibrant on Instagram. There’s truly nothing that inspires me more than seeing you guys trying out the recipes I post. Have a beautiful day!
More Delicious Salad Ideas
- Kale Citrus Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Arugula Persimmon Salad
- Autumn Spinach Salad
- Strawberry Walnut Arugula Salad
This shaved Brussels sprouts salad has a sweet and savory crunch to it. You’ll especially love this salad if you’re an existing fan of brussels sprouts, but even if you’re not, you just might be pleasantly surprised!
- 4 cups brussels sprouts, washed and dried
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, parsley, maple syrup, salt, and pepper until well combined. Set aside and prepare the salad.
- If you have a food processor with a slicing blade, use the fine blade to process the brussels sprouts. This is the easiest method of making this salad as most of your work will be done in less than a minute. If you don’t have a food processor, thinly slice each brussel sprout.
- In a large bowl, combine the brussels sprouts, apple, shallots, walnuts, and cranberries.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Gently toss to combine coat the ingredients with the dressing.
Keywords: shaved brussels sprouts salad, brussels sprouts, brussels sprouts salad, healthy salad, salad
This recipe was originally published on December 12, 2016. Since then, it’s been freshened up with new pictures, commentary, and made even more delicious!