Brussel sprouts — most people either hate them or love them. These spicy
Brussel sprouts — most people either hate them or love them. I’d like to say I was part of the former group until I made this dish a couple of weeks ago. Now I can safely say I’m swiftly moving towards the latter. These spiced brussel sprouts are so delicious. I love the sweet, spicy, and earthy flavors all tied into one bite.
So it all started with a phone conversation with a good friend from DC one evening. We’ve been friends for ages and have witnessed each other grow in so many ways over the years. That night we were talking about food…because….duh. And we got on the topic of brussel sprouts and I was declaring my dislike for these green leafy veggies. She’s the complete opposite of me on this subject matter — she absolutely loves them. How’s that even possible, I asked. I do remember trying out the most delicious brussel sprouts years ago with her at one of our favorite restaurants in downtown DC — however, those were deep fried and I think pretty much anything deep fried tastes decent. I tried to make them on my own after that, but failed miserably and haven’t tried since then. That was 5-6 years ago. However, after talking to her that night, I was inspired and decided I needed to give these veggies another try.
Brussel sprouts are actually so good for you — they are loaded with vitamin C, fiber, antioxidants, and folate. There are so many reasons to love them but it’s hard feel anything positive towards them unless you cook them in a way that pleases your taste buds. I’m going to be experimenting a lot more with brussel sprouts this season, but wanted to share this delicious recipe I came up with in the kitchen that night. It’s simple, quick, and super easy. And you do so much with it! You can either enjoy them as a side dish or eat them on its own. I enjoy with them with a dollop of hummus but that isn’t really necessary.
And to my fellow brussel sprouts skeptics, this recipe is especially for you. I completely understand the negative emotions you may have tied to this vegetable. But if you’re like me and haven’t given these leafy green veggies a try in years, I invite you to give them another chance with this recipe. And for all my brussel sprouts lovers, I’d love to hear how you cook your sprouts because I really want to learn from you!
And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. I love seeing your photos tagged #realandvibrant on InstagramPrint
Brussels sprouts — most people either hate them or love them. These spiced brussels sprouts are so delicious. I love the sweet, spicy, and earthy flavors all tied into one bite.
- 2 cups brussels sprouts (sliced in half)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or any other oil of your preference)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (more or less depending on preference)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pink Himalayan salt (or sea salt, to taste)
- cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup organic dried cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a medium sized pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Place the sliced brussels sprouts face down on the pan once the oil is heated.
- Cook for a few minutes and sprinkle brussel sprouts with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- After about 10 minutes, flip over the brussels sprouts.
- Cook until the brussels sprouts are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Lower the heat and add the dried cherries and pecans, gently stirring. Cook for a few more minutes and turn off the heat.
- Taste and adjust any seasonings. Enjoy!
Keywords: brussels sprouts, spiced brussels