This vegan mashed sweet potatoes recipe is one of my favorite side dishes! Made with only a few ingredients, it’s ready in less than 30 minutes. This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, and refined sugar-free.
Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes
While I enjoy sweet potatoes all year long, I especially enjoy them during the holidays. One of most popular ways to enjoy them is making mashed sweet potatoes. They pair well with almost any main course and are a delicious addition to any Thanksgiving meal.
These mashed sweet potatoes are awesome and you definitely need these in your life. How do I define the perfect mashed sweet potatoes? They are:
- Sweet, but not too sweet
- A little savory
3 Methods for Cooking the Sweet Potatoes
If you scour the internet for recipes on how to make mashed sweet potatoes, you’ll find a few different methods for cooking the sweet potatoes:
1. Boiling the sweet potatoes in water – submerging the sweet potatoes in boiling water to cook them.
2. Steaming the sweet potatoes – exposing them to hot steam without submerging them in the boiling water below them. Quick and easy without losing any of the nutrients in the water.
3. Roasting the sweet potatoes – cooking the sweet potatoes in high dry heat in the oven until they are cooked through. This method usually takes the longest.
My method of choice for making mashed sweet potatoes is steaming the potatoes as that retains the nutrients. Additionally, I also find that steaming them is the easiest way to get the job done and takes the least amount of time – less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
That’s a win-win in my books!
What You’ll Need
To make your vegan mashed sweet potatoes, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- Maple syrup
- Almond milk (or any other kind of milk)
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Sea salt
How to Make Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Once you have the ingredients, making them is pretty straightforward:
1. Cook the Potatoes: In a large pot, pour enough water to cover an inch of the base. Insert steamer basket and place the chunks of potatoes on top. Cover the lid and steam on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender.
2. Mash the Potatoes: In a medium-sized bowl, add the steamed sweet potatoes. Mash the mixture until the desired texture is achieved.
3. Add Remaining Ingredients: Add almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix until well combined. Adjust seasoning and sweetness, if needed. Serve and top with pecans, if using.
How to Store Leftovers
In the Fridge: Store leftover sweet potato mash in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for 3 days.
When you’re ready to enjoy the mashed sweet potatoes, warm it on a skillet on medium-low heat, the microwave, or enjoy at room temperature.
How do you Mash the Sweet Potatoes?
There are a few ways to mash the sweet potatoes once they are cooked. Each technique will lead to a different texture:
- Potato Masher: This will give you a chunkier texture depending on how long you mash it.
- Fork: This is a great alternative if you don’t have a potato masher and also prefer a slightly coarse and chunky texture.
- Food Processor: Using a food processor will lead to an ultra-smooth texture but be sure not to over-process, otherwise you’ll end up with a gummy-like texture.
- Immersion Blender: This will give you a smoother texture than using the potato masher but not as smooth as the food processor.
- Hand or Stand Mixer: Similar to the food processor, this will lead to a smooth and creamy texture.
Can you Freeze Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
Yes, mashed sweet potatoes store well in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Substitutions and Variations
Leave the Skin on the Sweet Potatoes: for a more rustic taste, simply leave the skin on the sweet potatoes.
Use another Milk: Any type of dairy-free milk works. Use coconut milk for added flavor and creaminess.
Roasting the Sweet Potatoes: Instead of steaming the sweet potatoes, try roasting them. To roast, preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, toss sweet potatoes with avocado oil, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, lay the sweet potatoes in a single layer.
Garnish with Fresh Herbs: Add crushed garlic and fresh herbs for a savory flavor. Some of my favorite include chives.
Add Additional Toppings: Add chopped nuts, fruit, and other toppings for added flavor. Check out Eat with Clarity’s sweet potato breakfast bowl for a filling breakfast idea.
Roast for about 30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Once cool enough to handle, add the roasted sweet potatoes back into the bowl. Add in the remaining ingredients and mash.
Boiling the Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes can also be boiled in water if you don’t have a steamer basket on hand. Simply pour enough water to cover the sweet potatoes and boil until cooked through. Turn off the stove and drain the sweet potatoes.
More Thanksgiving Dishes to Love
For more holiday side dishes, check out these recipes:
- Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- Vegan Collard Greens
- Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Apple Spinach Salad
Other Sweet Potato Recipes You May Enjoy
If you enjoy sweet potatoes, you’ll love these recipes:
- Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
- Crispy Sweet Potato Black Bean Bowl
- Roasted Sweet Potato Kale Bowl
- Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Soup
Did you make this Vegan Mashed Sweet Potato recipe? Leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out! Save this easy Thanksgiving recipe for later by pinning to your favorite Thanksgiving Pinterest board and be sure to tag me on Real + Vibrant’s Instagram to show me your delicious mashed sweet potato!
Vegan Mashed Sweet PotatoesPrint Pin Rate
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Raw pecans, roughly chopped
- Cook the Potatoes: In a large pot, pour enough water to cover an inch of the base. Insert steamer basket and place the chunks of potatoes on top. Cover the lid and steam on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Mash the Potatoes: In a medium-sized bowl, add the steamed sweet potatoes. Mash the mixture until the desired texture is achieved.
- Add Remaining Ingredients: Add almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix until well combined. Adjust seasoning and sweetness, if needed. Serve and top with pecans, if using.