Learn how to cook beets in your pressure cooker in 15 minutes. Instant Pot beets are perfect for snacking, smoothies, appetizers, spiralizing, salad, bowls, and so much more.
Up until a few years ago, I used to dislike beets. It wasn’t until I started juicing and roasting fresh beets that I realized how delicious they can taste.
These days I use my Instant Pot to quickly steam beets. When I steam beets in the pressure cooker, there’s no guesswork about timing. They come out just how I want them every time.
How to cook beets in the Instant Pot
To cook beets in your pressure cooker, follow these step-by-step directions:
1. Prepare the beets: Trim off the ends of the beet and rinse them to remove any debris.
2. Add ingredients to Instant Pot: Place the trivet in the Instant Pot and add the water. Carefully place the beets on the trivet.
3. Pressure cook: Close the Instant Pot lid, set the valve on “sealing”, and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Once completed, turn off the Instant Pot and wait 10 minutes to naturally release the pressure.
Quick-release any remaining pressure and carefully remove the lid.
4. Check doneness: If a fork can be inserted easily into the beet, it’s ready. Carefully remove the beets and place them in a bowl.
5. Prepare the cooked beets: On a cutting board, slice off the ends and remove the peel. It should slide right off.
Pro tip: Use gloves to prevent your hands from staining.
Once cooled, cut the beets as desired and place them in a bowl. Toss with extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette (if using), salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.
Prepared beets can be used in many ways and make a tasty addition to smoothies, soups, salads, appetizers, and side dishes.
Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy them:
- Marinate the beets in balsamic vinegar for an hour before tossing it with some extra-virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs. This makes a delicious side.
- Make a creamy beet hummus in minutes using your food processor.
- Blend a delicious beet smoothie for a delicious breakfast.
- Add the beets to your salads and bowls. They make the perfect topping.
- Spiralize the beets for a quick and delicious noodle salad.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need a steamer basket to cook beets in the Instant Pot? No, you can use the trivet that comes with the Instant Pot.
How long do beets last in the fridge? 3 to 5 days if stored in an airtight container.
Can you freeze cooked beets? Yes, cooked beets can be frozen.
Pro tip: After you’ve sliced or diced the beets, freeze them in a single layer on a tray. This will prevent the beets from clumping up together. Once frozen, add them to a freezer-safe bag and store in the freezer for up to a year.
How do I remove beet stains from my hand? While the stains will come off naturally in a couple of days, try rubbing your fingers with some baking soda or lemon juice.
More Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- How to Cook Wheat Berries in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice
Did you make this Instant Pot beets recipe? Leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out. Save this easy side dish recipe for later by pinning to your favorite Instant Pot Pinterest board and be sure to tag me on Real + Vibrant’s Instagram to show me your beets.
Instant Pot BeetsPrint Pin Rate
- 6 small beets, or 3 large beets
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse the beets and trim the stems and roots.
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot and add the water. Carefully place the beets on the trivet.
- Close the Instant Pot lid, set the valve on “sealing”, and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Once completed, turn off the Instant Pot and wait 10 minutes to naturally release the pressure. Quick-release any remaining pressure and remove the lid. If you can easily insert a fork or the tip of a knife into the beet, it’s done. Carefully remove the beets and place in a bowl to cool.
- On a cutting board, slice off the ends and remove the peel – it will slide off.* Cut the beets as desired.
- Use gloves to prevent your hands from staining.