Make a delicious 3-ingredient iced matcha latte at home in 5 minutes. Made with dairy-free milk, matcha green tea, and sweetener. No whisk needed.
Matcha is a green tea that originated in Japan. Over a thousand years ago, monks would sip on it to remain calm and alert during long hours of sitting in meditation practice.
Unlike most other teas, the entire matcha leaf is consumed in powder form.
While matcha tea is served in most coffee shops these days, it’s easy and cheaper to make it at home in less than 5 minutes with only 3 ingredients.
What you’ll need
To prepare iced matcha latte at home, the following ingredients are needed:
- Matcha green tea powder
- Vanilla almond milk: storebought or homemade
- Sweetener: any sweetener works well, including honey, agave, and maple syrup.
How to make it
- Combine ingredients: Add the milk, matcha, and sweetener to the blender. Be sure to add the milk first so the matcha powder doesn’t stick to the bottom of your blender.
- Blend: Process until smooth. The clumps of matcha should no longer be visible.
- Serve: Pour over ice and enjoy!
Top tips and suggestions
- Add vanilla: if using unflavored milk, consider adding vanilla extract to add more flavor.
- Prepare ahead of time: Prepare the matcha and store it in an air-tight glass jar for later. When it’s time for you to enjoy it, give it a little shake and pour over ice.
- High-quality matcha: The quality of your matcha will affect the taste of your drink. Try ceremonial matcha from a trusted source. I use this organic ceremonial matcha.
- Use unsweetened milk: Start with unsweetened milk and add sweetener, to taste. In the beginning, you may feel the need for adding more sweetener. As you get used to the taste, and especially if you’re using high-quality matcha, you’ll find yourself using less sweetener, if any at all.
Commonly asked questions
Is matcha better cold or hot? That really depends on you. During the summer, you may want to opt for cold or matcha as it’s warm outside. Alternatively, during the cooler months, you may prefer warm matcha.
More easy drink recipes
Update notes: This post was originally published on March 4, 2018. Since then, it’s been republished with new pictures, tips, and FAQs.
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 cup almond milk
- honey or maple syrup, to taste
- Add the milk, matcha, and sweetener to the blender. Be sure to add the milk first so the matcha powder doesn’t stick to the bottom of your blender.
- Blend until smooth. The clumps of matcha should no longer be visible
- Pour over ice and serve.