Learn how to make the BEST London Fog drink right at home in 5 minutes with this step-by-step recipe. Made with an Earl Grey tea base, milk, vanilla extract, and a natural sweetener, this latte is comforting and delicious.
While I’ve been an avid tea drinker since my early 20s, it wasn’t until a couple of years ago I had my first cup of London Fog tea one rainy afternoon. It was love at first sip and soon became my go-to Starbucks drink.
What is a London Fog?
A London Fog is traditionally made by combining brewed Earl Grey tea and warm milk to make an Earl Grey milk tea latte. It’s sweetened with sugar and flavored with vanilla.
You can find this drink on most coffee shop menus but why spend $4-5 on a drink you can easily make at home.
Ingredients you’ll need
To get started, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Earl Grey tea: I like to use 1-2 tea bags or loose-leaf tea.
- Hot water: Bring water to a boil in a kettle or saucepan before brewing the tea.
- Warm milk: Any kind of milk works great, such as regular dairy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, or oat milk. It can be storebought or homemade. Warm the milk using a milk steamer, microwave, or the stovetop.
- Sweetener: Use maple syrup if you’re vegan, granulated sugar, or another sugar alternative. I like to use honey.
- Vanilla extract: Alternatively, use vanilla bean or vanilla powder.
How to make a London Fog
Once you have the ingredients, you’ll need about 5 minutes to make your latte.
1. Add vanilla extract and sweetener: In a cup, add vanilla extract and sweetener of choice. I love using honey but other alternatives include maple syrup, granulated sugar, coconut sugar, and stevia.
2. Brew tea: Brew the Earl Grey tea in hot water. Use a teabag or loose-leaf. Cover and steep for 5 minutes.
3. Prepare drink: In a serving cup, fill half of the cup with the brewed Earl Grey tea mixture. Then, add the remaining half of the cup with hot milk. Serve immediately.
Tips and suggestions
Skip the frother: You don’t need a milk frother, although I think it adds a special touch to this comforting drink. Instead, use the microwave or a small saucepan on the stovetop to heat the milk. Note: Be sure the milk doesn’t come to a boil.
Vanilla milk: If you don’t have any vanilla extract, use vanilla-flavored milk instead. I like to use vanilla almond milk when I’m in a pinch.
Don’t have a teapot? If you don’t have a separate teapot to brew the tea in or are at work, simply add the vanilla, sweetener, teabag in a cup and fill it halfway with hot water. Fill the remaining half cup with hot milk.
More drink recipes
London Fog DrinkPrint Pin Rate
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon honey, or another sweetener, such as maple syrup
- 1 Earl Grey teabag
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup warm milk, I use almond milk
- Add vanilla extract and sweetener of choice.
- Brew the Earl Grey tea in hot water. Use a teabag or loose-leaf. Cover and steep for 5 minutes.
- In a serving cup, fill half of the cup with the brewed Earl Grey tea mixture. Then, add the remaining half of the cup with hot milk. Serve immediately.