This roasted sweet potato and kale bowl is a classic, everyday bowl packed with flavor, fresh ingredients, and nutrition. Made with massaged kale, sauteed spicy chickpeas, savory roasted potatoes, cherry tomatoes, pomegranate seeds, and a drizzle of lemon-tahini dressing. This is a great bowl to enjoy when you’re in the mood for something simple, delicious, and cozy.
I’ve been making this bowl for well over a year now and have shared it on my Instagram feed in various forms (like here and here). The response is always the same from my readers — you all seem to love the combination (I don’t blame you, it’s one of my favorites)! I decided it was about time to add it to the good old blog.
So, on that note, I present to you one of my favorite and easiest bowls – the roasted sweet potato and kale bowl with a lemon-tahini dressing (which is oh so delicious and always a crowd-pleaser).
How to get more Excited about Cooking
Before we get into the bowl details, I want to share a quick story. Real talk — when I first started cooking for myself, it was really challenging. Actually, that’s probably an understatement. Let’s just say I would do anything and everything to avoid the kitchen. Give me laundry, the vacuum, or even a dirty sink of dishes (oh I used to love doing the dishes). I would pretty much do anything to avoid getting my hands dirty in the kitchen. But after living with chronic illness for most of my adult life, I knew it was time for a change and my health was worth being open to a new way of living.
During this time period (and even today), it really helped me learn a benefit or two of each ingredient I was cooking with or consuming.
For example, I’d add a tablespoon of chia seeds to my morning smoothie and say out loud (if I was alone) “Okay, I’m going to add chia seeds because they are a great source of protein, high in antioxidants, and will keep my skin beautiful. Heck yeah!” That completely changed the dialogue in my head from “Ugh, this is too much work. Why can’t I just order this at a smoothie bar or restaurant?” to “Wow, I’m doing so much good for my body and health. Yes to beautiful vibrant skin!”
Obviously, I didn’t remember every health benefit off the top of my head (I would hang post-its and notecards in my cupboard to assist). But it was really nice to know at least one key benefit that resonated with me. For example, I’ve always been so excited by the idea of aging gracefully and taking really good care of my skin. So anything that’s good for my skin always gets my attention.
Key Bowl Ingredients & their benefits
So on that note, below are the key ingredients that went into making this roasted sweet potato and kale bowl, along with some of their possible benefits:
- Kale – packed with fiber, high in iron, contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, heart-healthy, and full of vitamins
- Sweet Potatoes – all those vitamins (C, B6, D), iron, potassium, anti-aging, and did I mention delicious?!
- Tomatoes – antioxidants, lycopene for heart health, great for vision, high in fiber, anti-aging, great for your skin
- Pomegranates – powerful antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, vitamin rich
- Tahini – healthy fats, amino acids, great for skin health, boosts nutrient absorption
This is just a quick summary but there are plenty of benefits that aren’t even on this list! And most of all, this bowl nor these ingredients will leave you in a food coma. I know that when I eat real whole foods, I feel so much better, have more energy, and feel so much more vibrant and alive!
I hope you enjoy this simple bowl. It’s packed with many of my favorite ingredients. If you try this recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Just tag your photos to #realandvibrant on Instagram. There’s nothing that inspires me more than seeing you guys trying out the recipes I post.Print
A classic, everyday bowl packed with flavor, fresh ingredients, and nutrition. Made with massaged kale, sauteed spicy chickpeas, savory roasted potatoes, tomatoes, pomegranate seeds, and a drizzle of lemon-tahini dressing, this is a great bowl to eat when you’re in the mood for something simple and delicious.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder (or more, to taste)
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Additional Bowl Ingredients
- 4 cups kale, washed and chopped
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
- dash cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F. In a bowl, combine the cubed sweet potatoes, 1 tbsp of oil, salt, and pepper. Toss until the potatoes are well coated in oil. On a baking sheet, lay the sweet potatoes on a single layer. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Prepare the chickpeas. In a medium pan, warm the oil on medium heat. Add the chickpeas, ground cumin, ground turmeric, paprika powder, sea salt, and pepper. Toss until the chickpeas are well coated. Cook for about 10 minutes and set aside.
- Make the tahini dressing. In a bowl, combine the tahini, extra-virgin olive oil, water, lemon juice, sea salt, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. Using a whisk or spoon, stir the ingredients until you have a smooth and creamy mixture. Feel free to add more water if until you get to the desired consistency.
- Massage the kale. In a bowl, add the kale and drizzle with olive oil. With your hands, slowly massage the oil into the kale for about 3 minutes. Season with salt, if desired.
- Assemble the bowls. Divide the kale, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, pomegranate seeds between the two bowls. Drizzle with the lemon-tahini dressing. Serve with additional dressing.
Keywords: healthy bowl, buddha bowl, sweet potatoes, kale bowl