A delicious and simple 5-ingredient sweet and tangy morning green smoothie that can easily be customized. Made with fresh spinach, tangy lime, and sweet banana, this smoothie is perfect for busy mornings or as an afternoon snack. Either way, this smoothie won’t disappoint.
Morning Green Smoothie
This is a classic green smoothie with enough sweetness but a little tanginess from the lime. It’s a great way to start the day. The chia seeds add a little boost of protein and fiber. And it’s pretty easy to customize. Don’t care for bananas? Use another fruit. Don’t care for fruit? Use cauliflower or zucchini instead! Experiment (and keep experimenting) with various options until you have a few of your favorites on hand.
Why I Drink Green Smoothies
Drinking green smoothies on a regular basis was one of the first steps I took on my health journey. Prior to this, I enjoyed egg and cheese croissants almost every morning along with my Starbucks chai latte. While it was great in the moment, I would always feel sluggish by 10:30. Then I’d find myself consuming caffeine to stay productive for the rest of the morning until lunchtime.
Smoothies were a complete game-changer for me. Not as a meal replacement but just as a way to get more greens and veggies into my day. I didn’t care to chomp on 2 cups of spinach but I could easily consume them in a smoothie without even thinking about it.
Make the Perfect Morning Green Smoothie
Here are a few tips on how to make the perfect green smoothie, from years of practice:
- If you don’t have a high-speed blender, blend the greens and liquids first. This will lead to a smoothy, velvety smoothie after you add the remaining ingredients.
- Bananas had natural sweetness and fiber to smoothie. I prefer to slice them up and freeze them in advance. That way they are cold and I don’t have to worry about slicing them up in the morning.
- If you’re going to use dates, soak them beforehand, for about 30 minutes. You don’t need to do this, just helps them blender smoother, and this step isn’t needed at all if you have a high-speed blender.
Here are some of the reasons I love enjoying smoothies. They are a great way to kickstart or restart a healthier lifestyle. This morning green smoothie checks the box on all of the items below!
- Great way to get more greens in
- Quick and easy to make
- Easy to prep and store for the week (chop up the ingredients and freeze!)
- They taste delicious (if you make it right)
- They can be extremely filling
- You’ll never get bored as long as you keep experimenting with different ingredients!
For More Smoothie Recipes, Check Out:
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Power Breakfast Smoothie
- Morning Green Smoothie
- Tropical Matcha Smoothie
- Strawberry Ginger Smoothie
A delicious and simple 5-ingredient sweet and tangy green smoothie that can easily be customized. Made with fresh spinach, tangy lime, and sweet banana, this smoothie is perfect for busy mornings or as an afternoon snack. Either way, this smoothie won’t disappoint.
- 2 handfuls spinach, rinsed
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 pitted dates (optional, for added sweetness)
- handful of ice
- Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
Keywords: smoothies, green smoothie
This recipe was originally published on February 18, 2016. Since then, it’s been freshened up with new pictures, commentary, and made even more delicious!