This strawberry banana smoothie takes only a few minutes to make. Made with strawberries, banana, milk, yogurt, and sweetener, this smoothie is perfect for an afternoon snack, on-the-go breakfast, or Valentine's Day.
Editor’s note: This recipe was originally published on April 22, 2018. Since then, it’s been freshened up with new pictures, commentary, and made even more delicious.
When I first started cooking at home more, smoothies became an important part of my transition. They helped me kick off my mornings with more fruits and vegetables.
During this time, I learned that the key to making the perfect smoothie was using fresh ingredients. You only need a handful of ingredients to make this strawberry banana smoothie.
How to make a strawberry banana smoothie
- Strawberries: While you can use frozen strawberries, fresh strawberries taste even better. However, if you want that thick smoothie texture, stick to frozen. I like to buy fresh strawberries when they are in season and freeze them for my smoothies so I can skip the ice.
- Banana: Use fresh bananas in your smoothie. For a thicker smoothie, slice and freeze the bananas beforehand.
- Yogurt: If you eat dairy, use Greek yogurt for a boost in protein. Alternatively, use coconut or almond milk yogurt for a vegan option.
- Milk: I use almond milk in this recipe but coconut milk or any other kind of milk, including dairy, works well.
- Sweetener: Naturally sweeten the smoothie with honey, Medjool dates, or maple syrup.
Once you have all of the ingredients, add them to your blender and process until smooth and creamy. Enjoy immediately or save for later.
Storing for later
If you have any leftovers, store the smoothie in the fridge for a few hours in a glass jar. Be sure to stir well before serving as the ingredients may start to separate.
Tips on making the best smoothie
Here are some of my favorite ways to customize this strawberry banana smoothie. I would suggest using one to two of these when you're looking to add a little more to your smoothie.
- Add seeds: For a boost in nutrition, add chia seeds, hemp seeds, or flax seeds.
- Add nut butter: Peanut butter or almond butter add creaminess and flavor, in addition to a serving of fat.
More tasty smoothie recipes
- Raspberry Smoothie
- Strawberry Ginger Smoothie
- Tropical Matcha Smoothie
- Power Breakfast Smoothie
- Pineapple Coconut Smoothie
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 banana
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, or any other kind of yogurt
- 1 cup milk, I use almond milk
- 1 tablespoon honey or 2 Medjool dates
- 1 cup ice
- In a blender, add strawberries, banana, yogurt, milk, sweetener, and ice.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately or store for later.