Start your day with this energy-boosting 5-ingredient kale pineapple smoothie recipe. It's refreshing, tasty, and only takes 5 minutes to make!
Editor's note: This recipe was originally published on October 10, 2016. Since then, it’s been freshened up with new pictures, commentary, and made even more delicious!
Green smoothies are one of the easiest ways to add a serving or two of greens into your day. This kale pineapple green smoothie is one of my favorites and only takes a few minutes to make. It’s creamy and absolutely delicious.
Ingredients you'll need
To make this green smoothie, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Kale: Rinse the kale, removing any debris. Remove the stem and chop the kale. For a more subtle kale flavor, use pre-packaged baby kale instead.
- Pineapple: Use either fresh or frozen pineapple. I like to chop up a fresh pineapple and store it in the freezer to create a thicker smoothie.
- Chia seeds: Add a boost of superfoods to your smoothie. This is an optional ingredient so feel free to omit if you don't have any on hand. You can also substitute it with hemp seeds or flax seeds.
- Medjool dates: Soaking the dates beforehand will make them easier to blend. If you prefer not to use dates, substitute with honey, maple syrup, or a banana.
- Almond milk: The almond milk add creaminess and flavor to this smoothie. Other alternatives include oat milk, cashew milk, or regular dairy milk.
- Ice: Add a handful of ice for a cool and refreshing pineapple kale smoothie.
How to make a kale pineapple smoothie
1. Soak Medjool dates: If you plan to sweeten the smoothie with a date or two, be sure to remove the pit and soak in water for about 15 minutes. This will make it easier to blend.
2. Add ingredients to blender: Combine the kale, pineapple, almond milk, chia seeds, Medjool date, and ice in a high-speed blender. Pro-Tip: If you have a standard blender, blend the milk and kale first. Then add the remaining ingredients.
3. Blend until smooth: Process until smooth and creamy. Adjust sweetener if needed.
4. Serve: Serve immediately or store in a container for later.
Tips and suggestions
Add protein: Add a scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder to add a boost of protein. Alternatively, add a serving of Greek yogurt for protein instead.
Add some fats: Add a serving of peanut butter or almond butter for a boost in fats. Alternatively, add 1/4 cup of avocado I like to dice and freeze avocado for smoothies for extra fat and creaminess.
Sweeten with banana: If you're not a fan of dates, use a ripe banana to add both sweetness and creaminess. I like to chop up a banana and freeze it to make my smoothies even thicker.
High-speed blender: While you'll get the smoothest smoothie with a high-speed blender, you can get pretty close with a standard blender by blending the greens and almond milk first. Then add the remaining ingredients and blend again.
Make-ahead: Prepare the ingredients the night before and throw them in the freezer (everything except for the almond milk). If you prepare the smoothie the night before, be sure to stir it before consuming as it will separate.
Adjust the thickness: If you’d prefer a thinner smoothie, add in more almond milk. For a thicker smoothie, add a few more ice cubes.
More green smoothie recipes
Other smoothie recipes
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Power Breakfast Smoothie
- Pineapple Coconut Smoothie
- Strawberry Ginger Smoothie
- Chocolate Zucchini Smoothie
- Blueberry Smoothie
Did you make this kale pineapple smoothie? Leave a comment below to let us know how it turned out! Be sure to tag me on Instagram to show me your creation!
- 2 cups kale
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 Medjool dates
- 1 cup ice
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour in a glass and enjoy immediately.