This chocolate zucchini smoothie is so good you won’t even taste the extra serving of zucchini in it. Made with fresh zucchini, cacao powder, and a few more simple ingredients, this recipe is delicious any time of the year.
Editor’s note: This recipe was originally published on May 1, 2017. Since then, it’s been freshened up with new pictures, commentary, and made even more delicious.
Yes, there’s zucchini in this smoothie. And, no, it’s not disgusting. In fact, you won’t even taste it. It’s that good. And it’s a great way to load your smoothies with extra veggies. Win win, right? I’ve been making this recipe for a couple of years now and it always tastes amazing/
Ingredients you’ll need
To make this smoothie, you’ll need the following 6 ingredients:
- Unsweetened almond milk: or any other choice of milk
- Zucchini: either with or without the peel. Freeze the zucchini after chopping for a thicker smoothie.
- Banana: for a thicker smoothie consistency, be sure to slice and freeze the banana beforehand. Use a ripe banana for a sweeter smoothie.
- Cacao powder: or unsweetened cocoa powder
- Almond butter: or any other kind of nut butter, such as peanut butter or cashew butter
- Medjool dates: or substitute with another sweetener, such as maple syrup or honey. Or simply omit if the banana adds enough sweetness.
You may also add optional toppings, such as cacao nibs or coconut flakes.
How to make a chocolate zucchini smoothie
1. Soak dates: In a small bowl, soak the pitted dates in water for 15-30 minutes. Rinse and drain.
2. Combine ingredients: Combine the zucchini, milk, cacao powder, banana, almond butter, and dates.
3. Blend and serve: Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more liquid if it’s too thick. Serve and enjoy.
Top tips and variations
Prepare the zucchini beforehand: Wash, slice, stick the zucchini in a container and freeze for quick and easy access.
Adjust thickness: for a thinner smoothie, use more almond milk. For a thicker smoothie, it helps to use frozen zucchini and banana as well as less milk.
Standard blender: if using a standard blender, be sure to soak the Medjool dates for 15-30 minutes in warm water. This will make it easier to blend the dates and create a smoother texture.
More smoothie recipes
For more smoothies to kick off your day or energize your afternoon, check out these recipes:
- Tropical Matcha Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Power Breakfast Smoothie
- Morning Green Smoothie
- Pineapple Coconut Smoothie
If you tried this chocolate zucchini smoothie recipe or any other recipe, be sure to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. Follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for more delicious recipes.
Chocolate Zucchini SmoothiePrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen
- 2 teaspoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- cacao nibs
- coconut flakes
- Combine the ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately.