Learn how to cook perfectly crisp and tender asparagus in the Instant Pot every time with this easy and fail-proof recipe!
Instant Pot Asparagus
Asparagus is a perfect spring-time veggie. One of my favorite ways to enjoy asparagus is to make steamed asparagus, dressed with extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper.
While asparagus is easy to steam on the stovetop, there are times when it’s just more convenient to use the Instant Pot. It’s easy, quick, hands-off, and reliable. Cook perfectly crisp-tender asparagus in less than 15 minutes with this simple Instant Pot Asparagus recipe!
To cook perfectly steamed asparagus in your pressure cooker, all you need is:
- Fresh asparagus (I like to use asparagus spears with medium thickness when making this recipe)
- A cup of water
- A few optional ingredients to add flavor, such as lemon juice, fresh herbs, extra-virgin olive oil (or melted butter), sea salt, black pepper
You’ll also need the following tools:
- A knife to trim the asparagus
- An Instant Pot (I use both the Instant Pot Duo Mini 3-Quart and Instant Pot DUO 6-Quart with great results)
- A steamer basket or trivet
- Tongs to remove the asparagus
How to Cook Instant Pot Asparagus
- Prepare the Asparagus: Rinse and dry the asparagus. Trim the ends of each stalk.
- Add Ingredients to Instant Pot: Pour 1 cup of water into the stainless steel insert of the Instant Pot before placing the trivet or steamer basket inside. Then, carefully arrange the asparagus onto the steamer basket.
- Pressure Cook: Cook on High Pressure for 0 minutes.
- Quick Release Steam: Once the pressure cooker reaches pressure, immediately quick release the pressure and carefully remove the lid. Pro-Tip: It’s extremely important to release pressure immediately (as soon as your Instant Pot beeps after coming to pressure), otherwise you’ll end up with mushy asparagus.
- Remove Cooked Asparagus: Using tongs, remove the cooked asparagus from the Instant Pot.
- Dress and Serve: In a separate plate, drizzle cooked asparagus with extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss and serve.
How to Serve Instant Pot Asparagus
Prepared asparagus can be served in endless ways. It’s such a versatile side dish and easy to serve with any main dish.
- A delicious side dish dressed with extra-virgin olive oil (or butter), salt, and pepper. Or infused with more flavors, such as garlic, fresh herbs, and lemon juice.
- Drizzle with a lemon vinaigrette, lemon tahini sauce or balsamic vinaigrette.
- Serve with rice (jasmine rice, black rice, or brown rice) or another grain (quinoa or wheat berries)
Commonly Asked Questions
How do I store leftover asparagus? Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. Since it doesn’t reheat well, I prefer to chop it up and add it to my salads or bowls.
What size Instant Pot did you use? I’ve tested this recipe on both my Instant Pot Duo Mini 3-Quart and Instant Pot DUO 6-Quart with great results. However, you may need to tweak how long you cook your asparagus based on preference, the size, model, and brand of your pressure cooker.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- How to Cook Perfect Quinoa in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Chickpeas
- Indian Chickpea Curry
- Perfectly Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Did you make this Instant Pot Asparagus recipe? Leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out! Save this easy asparagus recipe for later by pinning to your favorite Instant Pot Pinterest board and be sure to tag me on Real + Vibrant’s Instagram to show me your asparagus!
Instant Pot AsparagusPrint Pin Rate
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse and dry the asparagus. Trim the ends of each stalk.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the stainless steel insert of the Instant Pot before placing the trivet or steamer basket inside. Then, carefully arrange the asparagus onto the steamer basket.
- Cook on High Pressure for 0 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooker reaches pressure, immediately quick release the pressure and carefully remove the lid.
- Using tongs, remove the cooked asparagus from the Instant Pot.
- In a separate bowl, drizzle cooked asparagus with extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss and serve.