Learn how to cook perfectly crisp and tender asparagus in the Instant Pot every time with this easy and fail-proof recipe!
Asparagus is a perfect spring-time veggie. And while it’s easy to cook on the stovetop, there are times when it’s just more convenient to use the Instant Pot. It’s easy, quick, hands-off, and reliable.
Cook perfectly crisp-tender asparagus in less than 15 minutes with this quick and easy recipe.
Ingredients you’ll need
To get started, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Fresh asparagus (I like to use spears with medium thickness when making this recipe). Rinse and dry before triming the ends of each stalk.
- A cup of water
- A few optional ingredients to add flavor, such as lemon juice, fresh herbs, extra-virgin olive oil (or melted butter), sea salt, black pepper
You’ll also need the following tools:
- An Instant Pot (I use both the Instant Pot Duo Mini 3-Quart and Instant Pot DUO 6-Quart with great results)
- A steamer basket or trivet
How to cook Instant Pot asparagus
1. Add ingredients to Instant Pot: Pour 1 cup of water into the stainless steel insert before placing the trivet or steamer basket inside. Then, carefully arrange the asparagus onto the steamer basket.
2. Pressure cook: Cook on High Pressure for 0 minutes.
3. Quick-release steam: Once the pressure cooker reaches pressure, immediately quick release the pressure and carefully remove the lid.
Note: Release pressure as soon as your pressure cooker beeps to indicate it’s come to pressure. Otherwise, you’ll end up with mushy vegetables.
3. Remove: Using tongs, remove the cooked asparagus.
4. Add dressing and serve: In a separate plate, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss and serve.
Prepared asparagus can be served in endless ways. Here are some of my favorites:
- Side dish: It’s such a versatile side dish and easy to serve with any main dish. Toss with extra-virgin olive oil (or butter), salt, and pepper. Or infused with more flavors, such as garlic, fresh herbs, and lemon juice.
- Add dressing: Drizzle with a lemon vinaigrette, lemon tahini sauce or balsamic vinaigrette.
- With a grain: Serve with rice (jasmine rice, black rice, or brown rice) or another grain (quinoa or wheat berries)
Commonly asked questions
How do I store leftovers? Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. Since it doesn’t reheat well, I prefer to chop it up and add it to my salads or bowls.
What size Instant Pot did you use? I’ve tested this recipe on both my Duo Mini 3-Quart and DUO 6-Quart with great results. However, you may need to tweak your settings based on preference, the size, model, and brand of your pressure cooker.
More pressure cooker recipes
- How to Cook Perfect Quinoa in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Chickpeas
- Indian Chickpea Curry
- Perfectly Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let me know how it turned out. Save this easy recipe for later by pinning to your favorite recipe Pinterest board and be sure to tag me on Real + Vibrant’s Instagram to show me your creation!
Editor’s note: This recipe was originally published on March 30, 2019. Since then, it’s been freshened up with more helpful details and made even more delicious.
Instant Pot AsparagusPrint Pin Rate
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse and dry before trimming the ends of each stalk.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the stainless steel insert of the Instant Pot before placing the trivet or steamer basket inside. Then, carefully arrange the asparagus onto the steamer basket.
- Cook on High Pressure for 0 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooker reaches pressure, immediately quick release the pressure and carefully remove the lid.
- Using tongs, remove from the Instant Pot.
- In a separate bowl, drizzle cooked asparagus with extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss and serve.