Use the Instant Pot to cook perfect, fluffy, flavorful quinoa every single time. This simple Instant Pot quinoa recipe is a quick and easy way of cooking quinoa!
Cooking quinoa in the Instant Pot is easy, quick, and convenient! Combine the ingredients, turn on the Instant Pot, walk away and take care of anything else you need to at home while your quinoa cooks.
Additionally, there’s so much you can do with this versatile ingredient, such as using it to make a Mediterranean Quinoa Salad, add it to your next Vegan Power Bowl, or serve it with Cauliflower Tikka Masala. I like to make a batch at the beginning of every week, store it in an airtight glass container, and use portions of it throughout the week.
To make the perfect batch of quinoa, the ratio between water and quinoa is very important to achieve a fluffy texture. I use this formula:
For 1 cup of quinoa, use 1 cup of water. Therefore, for 2 cups of quinoa, I use 2 cups of water.
Pro-Tip: try using vegetable broth instead of water for added flavor.
What You’ll Need
To cook quinoa in your Instant Pot, you’ll need the following:
- Sea salt
- Instant Pot
- Measuring cup (1 cup) and spoon (1/4 teaspoon)
How to Cook Quinoa in an Instant Pot
1. Rinse and Drain: Using a fine-mesh sieve, rinse the quinoa for 2-3 minutes to remove the natural coating (called saponin) that gives quinoa a bitter and soapy taste.
2. Combine Ingredients: Add the quinoa, salt, and water to the Instant Pot (or any other pressure cooker).
3. Pressure Cook: Close the Instant Pot lid, set the valve on “sealing”, and cook on high pressure for 1 minute. Once completed, wait 10 minutes to naturally release the pressure. Quick-release any remaining pressure and carefully remove the lid.
4. Fluff and Serve: Using a fork, fluff the perfectly cooked quinoa with a fork.
Tips & Suggestions
- Rinse well: always be sure to take a few minutes to rinse the quinoa before cooking it. This will help get rid of any bitterness.
- Spray Insert with Oil: to prevent any sticking, spray the stainless steel insert with oil (I use an avocado oil spray).
- Quinoa to Water Ratio: since the water isn’t going to evaporate water as using the stovetop method, be sure to use the correct water to quinoa ratio.
How to Use Quinoa
While you can always enjoy quinoa cooked in the Instant Pot as a simple side, here are a few other ways to use it:
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Overnight quinoa and oats
- As a replacement for rice in a curry
- A delicious addition to any salad (and then drizzle with my favorite Lemon Tahini Dressing!)
- Add it to your soups, stews, and chilis
More Quinoa Recipes
Other Easy Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Carrots
- Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- How to Make Hard-Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Cabbage
- Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs
Instant Pot QuinoaPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Rinse the quinoa under cool running water in a mesh sieve, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, salt, and water (or vegetable broth) to the Instant Pot. Close the lid and select HIGH pressure for 1 minute and hit Start.
- When the time is up, allow for a natural pressure release for 15 minutes. Remove any remaining pressure and unlock the lid.
- Using a fork, fluff the perfectly cooked quinoa. Serve immediately or store for future use.
This recipe was originally published on January 14, 2019. Since then, it’s been freshened up with new pictures, commentary, and made even more delicious!