Use the Instant Pot to cook perfect, fluffy, flavorful quinoa every single time. This simple Instant Pot quinoa recipe is a quick and easy way of cooking quinoa!
Recently. I shared how to cook the perfect quinoa on the stovetop. Since then, I’ve received quite a few requests on how to cook quinoa in an Instant Pot. Needless to say, I’m a huge fan of using the Instant Pot (or any other type of pressure cooker) to prepare quinoa along with many other staples.
1-Minute Instant Pot Quinoa
Technically, it takes longer than 1 minutes because, if you have ever used an Instant Pot, you know it takes about 10 minutes for the pressure to build up before “cooking time” starts. And most recipes ask for the pressure to release naturally, which takes another 10 minutes.
However, the amount of hands-on time you spend “cooking” the quinoa is minimal. Once you rinse the quinoa and turn on the Instant Pot, you can simply walk away and take care of anything else you need to at home while your quinoa cooks. Another reason I love cooking anything in my Instant Pot because it allows me to use a fail-proof method to get the same results every single time — in this case, perfect quinoa.
How to Cook Quinoa in an Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker)
- First, you want to rinse the quinoa in a mesh sieve. Rinse for about two minutes to remove the natural coating that can give quinoa a bitter and soapy taste.
- Next, add the quinoa, salt, and water (or vegetable stock) to the Instant Pot (or any other pressure cooker). Close the lid and select HIGH pressure for 2 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to build pressure before the 2 minutes starts.
- When the time is up, allow for a natural pressure release for 10-15 minutes. Remove any pressure, if any, and unlock the lid carefully.
- Using a fork, fluff the perfectly cooked quinoa with a fork. That’s it!
Delicious Ways to Enjoy Quinoa
While you can always enjoy quinoa cooked in the Instant Pot as a simple side, there are numerous delicious ways to jazz up your quinoa. Here are a few of my favorite ways:
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Overnight quinoa and oats
- As a replacement for rice in a curry
- A delicious addition to any salad (and then drizzle with my favorite Lemon Tahini Dressing!)
- Add it to your soups, stews, and chilis
There’s so much you can do with this versatile ingredient. I always make a batch at the beginning of every week, store it in an airtight glass container, and use portions of it throughout the week.
For More Quinoa Recipes, Check Out:
For More Instant Pot Recipes, Check Out:
- Instant Pot Carrots
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- How to Make Perfect Quinoa in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Cabbage
A quick step-by-step tutorial on how to cook the perfect Instant Pot quinoa every single time. While it still takes about the same amount of time as cooking quinoa on a stovetop, using an Instant Pot (or any other pressure cooker) instead makes this method very hands-off.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Rinse the quinoa under cool running water in a mesh sieve, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, salt, and water (or vegetable stock) to the Instant Pot. Close the lid and select HIGH pressure for 1 minute and hit Start.
- When the time is up, allow for a natural pressure release for 15 minutes. Remove any remaining pressure and unlock the lid.
- Using a fork, fluff the perfectly cooked quinoa. Serve immediately or store for future use.
Note that it will take about 10 minutes for the pressure to build up. This time is included in the cook time.
Keywords: pressure cooker quinoa, instant pot quinoa, how to make quinoa in the instant pot