Learn how to make perfectly tender, nutrient-rich black rice in the Instant Pot every single time with this quick, easy, fail-proof recipe!
Instant Pot Black Rice
Have you ever tried cooking black rice in your Instant Pot? If not, it’s time to give it a try and add this naturally gluten-free grain into your cooking!
Black rice, also known as forbidden rice, usually has a chewier texture and a nutty flavor. While it looks very similar to white rice, it’s black in color and turns a deep, dark purple when cooked. It tastes similar to brown rice, but with a mild nutty flavor.
Perfect black rice results in a combination of factors: the correct cooking time, rice-to-water ratio, and the cooking method used.
Qualities of perfectly cooked forbidden rice include:
- A little chewy
- Nutty in flavor
Black rice should not be mushy, sticky, crunchy, burnt, or soggy.
The best part: there is no need to soak the black rice before cooking it in the Instant Pot.
Rice is one of the most convenient things to cook in the Instant Pot, whether it’s brown rice, Basmati rice, or jasmine rice. Use this hand-off method to set it and forget it until it’s done! Perfect for a side dish, base for the main dish, and excellent for meal prep. Make a batch to use in meals throughout the week!
Black Rice-to-Water Ratio
To make a batch of black rice, the ratio between water and black rice is very important to achieve a tender texture. I use this simple formula when I’m cooking it in the pressure cooker:
For 1 cup of black rice, use 1 cup of water.
What You’ll Need to Cook Black Rice in the Instant Pot
- Black Rice / Forbidden Rice
- An Instant Pot (I use both the Instant Pot Duo Mini 3-Quart and Instant Pot DUO 6-Quart with great results)
- Measuring cup (1 cup)
Pro-Tip: try using broth or stock instead of water for added flavor.
How to Cook Black Rice in the Instant Pot
- Rinse and drain rice: Pour the rice in a mesh sieve and rinse under cool water until it runs clear. Drain well.
- Add ingredients to Instant Pot: Combine the black rice and water in the stainless steel insert.
- Pressure cook the black rice: Close the lid of the pressure cooker. Set the valve to “sealing” and start the pressure cooker on “High” for 17 minutes. Once completed, let the pressure naturally release for another 10 minutes before quick-releasing the remaining pressure. Carefully open the lid.
- Fluff and serve: Using a fork, fluff the rice. Scoop out and serve or store for later.
Store for Later: Store the rice in an airtight container for 3 days in the refrigerator. When ready to enjoy, simply warm it up in the microwave or in a saucepan.
Tips on Cooking the Best Black Rice
- Use good-quality black rice. I use this brand.
- Unless you prefer, there’s no need to soak the black rice beforehand if you’re using the Instant Pot.
- Measure the quantity of rice and water carefully.
- Be sure to rinse and drain the rice well before adding it to the Instant Pot.
- Be sure to use the correct rice to water ratio, as described in the recipe.
- For added flavor, use 1/4 teaspoon salt or replace the water with vegetable broth.
- Allow the rice to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, allowing it to cook.
What to Serve with Black Rice
Black rice can be served with cooked veggies, lentils, beans, and more. Here are some ways to enjoy it:
- Serve with vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, or beets.
- Serve with pinto beans or any other kind of bean.
- Use the rice to make a quick stir-fry.
- Add it to your next vegan power bowl.
- Serve it with Indian chickpea curry or lentils.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Perfect Quinoa in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Carrots
- Instant Pot Beets
- How to Make Chickpeas in the Instant Pot
I hope you love this Instant Pot Black Rice recipe as much as I do! Sign up for email updates to get delicious recipes delivered straight to your inbox. You can also follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!Print
Learn how to make perfectly tender black rice in the Instant Pot every single time with this quick, easy, fail-proof recipe!
- 1 cup black rice (forbidden rice)
- 1 cup water
- Rinse the rice in a mesh sieve under cool water until it runs clear, running your fingers through the rice. Drain well.
- Combine the black rice and water in the stainless steel insert of the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker. Set the valve to “sealing” and start the pressure cooker on “High” for 17 minutes. Once completed, let the pressure naturally release for another 10 minutes before quick-releasing the remaining pressure. Carefully open the lid.
- Using a fork, fluff the rice. Scoop out and serve or store for later.
I’ve tested this recipe on both my Instant Pot Duo Mini 3-Quart and Instant Pot DUO 6-Quart with great results. However, you may need to tweak how long you cook the black rice based on the size, model, and brand of your pressure cooker.
Keywords: instant pot black rice