Learn how to cook fluffy brown rice in the Instant Pot with this simple step-by-step fail-proof recipe. Perfect as a side dish, base for a main dish, and excellent for meal prep.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
Brown rice takes longer to make than other types of rice, but it’s just as easy. While it normally takes about an hour to cook brown rice on the stovetop, the Instant Pot makes it easier than ever to get perfect results every single time – in half the time!
Perfect brown rice is the result of the right cooking time, rice-to-water ratio, and the cooking method used, which can be a little tricky. Qualities of perfectly cooked brown rice include:
- A little chewy
Brown rice should not be mushy, sticy, crunchy, burnt, or soggy.
Use this hand-off method to set it and forget it until it’s done! Perfect for a side dish, base for a main dish, and excellent for meal prep. Make a batch to use in meals throughout the week!
To make a batch of brown rice, the ratio between water and brown rice is very important to achieve a fluffy texture. I use this simple formula when I’m cooking it in the pressure cooker:
For 1 cup of brown rice, use 1 cup of water. For softer rice, use 1 1/4 cup water instead.
What You’ll Need to Cook Brown Rice in the Instant Pot
Pro-Tip: try using broth or stock instead of water for added flavor.
How to Cook Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Rinse: Rinse the brown rice in a mesh sieve under cool running water for a few minutes. Drain well.
- Combine Ingredients: In the insert of the Instant Pot, combine the water and brown rice.
- Pressure Cook: Close the Instant Pot lid, set the valve on “sealing”, and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Once completed, turn off the Instant Pot and wait 10 minutes to naturally release the pressure. Quick-release any remaining pressure* and remove the lid.
- Fluff and Serve: Using a fork, fluff the perfectly cooked brown rice. Serve immediately or cool down before storing for later.
How do you quick-release? Quick-release by carefully turning the steam valve to the “Venting” position (I do this with a long handle). Once the steam has completely escaped, the pin will down. You can now carefully open the Instant Pot lid at this time (facing the lid away from you).
Pro-Tip: To add a deeper flavor to the rice, simply sautee it with oil or butter in the Instant Pot insert for a few minutes before adding the water and pressure cooking it.
Commonly Asked Questions
Do you have to rinse brown rice? Yes, rinse under cool water to remove any unwanted debris.
How long does brown rice last in the fridge? 7 days if stored in a sealed container in the fridge.
Can you freeze brown rice? Yes! Make a bigger batch of Instant Pot brown rice and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. It will thaw and reheat deliciously when you need to use it.
What can I add to brown rice to give it more flavor? To add more flavor, add chopped fresh herbs, finely diced red onion, or freshly squeezed lemon juice. Or toss with massaged kale or other cooked veggies, including carrots, broccoli, or green peas. For a boost of protein, mix with chickpeas or pair with black beans.
What size Instant Pot did you use? I’ve tested this recipe on both my Instant Pot Duo Mini 3-Quart and Instant Pot DUO 6-Quart with great results. However, you may need to tweak how long you cook the eggs based on preference, the size, model, and brand of your pressure cooker.
How to Enjoy Instant Pot Brown Rice
Prepared brown rice can be used in many ways and make a tasty addition to meals throughout the week. Here are some ways to enjoy them:
- Serve as a side to Indian Chickpea Curry
- Enjoy it with Cauliflower Tikka Masala
- Use it in place of quinoa to make a Vegan Power Bowl
- Enjoy it in a quick and easy stir-fry
Other Instant Pot Recipes
- How to Cook Quinoa in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Cabbage
- How to Cook Hard-Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Carrots
- Instant Pot Beets
Did you make this Instant Pot Brown Rice recipe? Leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out! Save this easy side dish recipe for later by pinning to your favorite Instant Pot Pinterest board and be sure to tag me on Real + Vibrant’s Instagram to show me what you made!Print
Learn how to cook fluffy brown rice in the Instant Pot with this simple step-by-step foolproof recipe. Make a batch and use it in meals throughout the week!
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed well
- 1 cup water
- In the stainless steel insert of the Instant Pot, combine the water and brown rice.
- Close the Instant Pot lid, set the valve on “sealing”, and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Once completed, turn off the Instant Pot and wait 10 minutes to naturally release the pressure. Quick-release any remaining pressure* and carefully remove the lid.
- Using a fork, fluff the perfectly cooked brown rice. Serve immediately or cool down before storing for later.
Note: I’ve tested this recipe on both my Instant Pot Duo Mini 3-Quart and Instant Pot DUO 6-Quart with great results. However, you may need to make adjustments based on the size, model, and brand of your pressure cooker.
For added flavor, substitute the water with broth or stock.
For softer rice, use 1 1/4 cup water instead of 1 cup.
Keywords: instant pot brown rice